USB2 Belkin Card - have I installed it correctly?

powertool 22:24 13 Dec 04

Hi - I've bought a Belkin Hi-Speed notebook card USB2 [F5U222] as my laptop only has USB1.

I've installed it, and as I have XP SP1, according to the manual, I don't need to install the driver separately.

It is working - but in the manual it says that the device manager should show an entry called "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". Well mine doesn't - so I thought I should perhaps install the driver manually. So I did a 'system restore' to before the first go at installing the card and tried to install the driver from the cd-rom without the card being in place as directed. Doing this generates an error message, "this programme needs to close" and I have also tried to download the driver from the Belkin website with the same effect.

The USB2 card seems to be working - but how can I tell whether I have just installed two more USB1.1s?!

Your advice is, as ever, much appreciated!

Forum Editor 22:33 13 Dec 04

if it's working why not leave things as they are?

Salinger 22:37 13 Dec 04

If device manager shows "enhanced" against one of the USB entries, you have USB 2 installed.

Totally-braindead 23:04 13 Dec 04

As Salinger has said my PC says Enhanced and that means USB 2. Personally I've always thought that was a bit confusing and it would be better if it actually said USB 2 but there you are. I wondered for a while whether I had USB 1 or 2 until I read on this Forum about Enhanced meaning USB 2.

powertool 17:57 14 Dec 04

yes - its says enhanced. I know it sounds a bit pedantic, but I am using the external HDD to stream over WAV files to Ableton Live and I need to know that it is working correctly before I tweak the other settings to get best performance.

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

Apple predictions 2017