USB2 Belkin Card - have I installed it correctly?

powertool 22:24 13 Dec 04

Hi - I've bought a Belkin Hi-Speed notebook card USB2 [F5U222] as my laptop only has USB1.

I've installed it, and as I have XP SP1, according to the manual, I don't need to install the driver separately.

It is working - but in the manual it says that the device manager should show an entry called "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". Well mine doesn't - so I thought I should perhaps install the driver manually. So I did a 'system restore' to before the first go at installing the card and tried to install the driver from the cd-rom without the card being in place as directed. Doing this generates an error message, "this programme needs to close" and I have also tried to download the driver from the Belkin website with the same effect.

The USB2 card seems to be working - but how can I tell whether I have just installed two more USB1.1s?!

Your advice is, as ever, much appreciated!

Forum Editor 22:33 13 Dec 04

if it's working why not leave things as they are?

Salinger 22:37 13 Dec 04

If device manager shows "enhanced" against one of the USB entries, you have USB 2 installed.

Totally-braindead 23:04 13 Dec 04

As Salinger has said my PC says Enhanced and that means USB 2. Personally I've always thought that was a bit confusing and it would be better if it actually said USB 2 but there you are. I wondered for a while whether I had USB 1 or 2 until I read on this Forum about Enhanced meaning USB 2.

powertool 17:57 14 Dec 04

yes - its says enhanced. I know it sounds a bit pedantic, but I am using the external HDD to stream over WAV files to Ableton Live and I need to know that it is working correctly before I tweak the other settings to get best performance.

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…