USB2 on ASUS A7N8X-E

sil_ver 16:50 23 Jun 04

Since fitting this board I've rapidly come to the conclusion that it's slightly lacking in the USB power supply department. I have a webcam, card reader, printer and Powered hub connected more or less permanently, the BB modem is plugged into the hub. If I plug another printer in to the mainboard the USB Modem will drop connection and remain dead until I unplug the hub and plug it in again. To try and get round the problem I am thinking of buying a PCI USB card but am unsure whether it has it's own USB power supply or if it still needs to use the mainboard USB supply. Any input appreciated.

€dstowe 16:54 23 Jun 04

Best not to use a modem or a printer via a hub.

Put your less demanding things on the hub to allow the modem to get all the power it wants.

sil_ver 17:05 23 Jun 04

The manual for the modem Speedtouch 330 says to use a hub. I tried to use it off the mobo of a previous mobo and just kept getting dropped conns until I used the hub

lacker 17:21 23 Jun 04

I also run this MOBO which has 4 USB2 ports built in.I have added a 4port PCI expansion card'and all 8 ports operate without any problems.I agree with Edstow do not operate a printer or modem through a hub,powered or otherwise.From experience I can tell you it will cause grief.

sil_ver 17:25 23 Jun 04

So, regarding my original question, does a PCI USB card run independant of the mobo USB power supply

lacker 17:32 23 Jun 04

Hi sil_ver,
I am no expert on electronics but I guess they would be separate.The original 4 are on the MOBO circuitry direct.The PCI card has it's own circuitry.All I can say mate,is it works 'tickety boo' on my mobo which is the same as yours.
Regards

Bowsprit 17:42 23 Jun 04

I have same setup on same board plus scanner and no problems for over a year.I also have a four port PCI USB card with four ports on front panel and this draws power from mb.I think your problem could be hot plugging your other printer.

sil_ver 11:34 28 Jun 04

Thought I'd give the idea of plugging less demanding devices on the hub and printers and modem on mobo. I now only hot plug the scanner to mobo and things seem to have settled down. So, thanks everybody for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…