USB2

Gwyn1 13:43 25 May 06

My daughter has just purchased an HP Printer USB2 enabled can she just plug this into her present computer which is only USB1. If not is there an adapter etc.

Thanks in advance

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:56 25 May 06

Most USB2 stuff is usually backwardly compatible with USB1 it usually gives this sort of info in the documents that come with the printer. USB2 has a faster data transfer rate and is more or less the norm these days. If the printer satisfies your needs then fine, you can get a USB2 card to put in a vacant slot if you have one.

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:59 25 May 06

If you want to upgrade to USB2
click here

woodchip 14:00 25 May 06

yes it will work and if it was usb 2 you would not know any difference, as usb2 as an effect only when moving lots of data at speed

Stuartli 14:00 25 May 06

I ran my Epson R300 for a short time using only a USB1.1 powered hub - I then purchased a four port USB2 PCI card (XP supplies the drivers, other operating systems need them installing) and ran the printer from there.

In fact the startup and print times were, as far as I can make out, identical for both 1.1 and 2.0.

I now have a replacement motherboard, CPU etc and up to eight USB2 ports are available, plus the USB1.1 hub which is powered from one of them. The Epson is now connected to one of the USB2 ports in the PCI card.

However, it would be better if you did use a USB2 port and a USB2 PCI card is only around £10.

Gwyn1 14:02 25 May 06

Thanks everyone for the promp replies, everybody must be sitting by their computer - what a site wonderful.

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:08 25 May 06

Which version of Windows are you using?

Gwyn1 15:17 25 May 06

She has Windows 98

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:48 25 May 06

Think you need Win98SE to use the cards properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…