bjantbear 08:07 20 Sep 03

Can anyone tell me the difference between USB and USB2, how can I tell which I have got and will the later models of scanners that say they require USB2 run using the original USB connection?

-pops- 08:16 20 Sep 03

USB2 is about 40 times faster than USB1. How can you tell? Well it will be stated in your computer specifications - that's the easiest way of finding out.

Both USB types are compatible with each other but a USB2 device will only work at USB1 speed if plugged into a USB1 port (making it useless for high speed requirements such as video or DVD work). Likewise, a USB1 device still only works at USB1 speed whichever type port it is connected to.

You should be OK with a scanner in either type port.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:51 20 Sep 03

I use computers with USB2 and USB1 devices and there is little noticeable difference in speed. Printers and scanners are held back by their hardware and no matter how fast you send the information it still depends on the setup speed. IN burning CDs or DVDs there is little difference as you are restricted to the burn speed of the recorder. The only real differnce, in home computing, is in editing video but then if you wee serious you would be using Firewire ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…