USB1? USB2 what have I got does it matter?

jack 19:58 27 Jul 04

Considering buying a piece of kit wuth USB connectivity.
I notice it is all advertised as USB 2

My Machine is XP Pro although it is probably pre XP more 98SE model so the mo bo is not cracking up to date but has USB and runs new printers and scanner etc.,
Does it matter what sort I have and does it matter?
Or have I got the whole issue round my neck?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:01 27 Jul 04

Unless you are doing serious video-editing for Shrek 3, there is no real difference between USB 1 and 2. USB 2 is backwards compatible as well. There is a lot of nonsense talked about USB 2 (fast), USB 2 and USB 1....some would call it hype.

G

zootmo 20:02 27 Jul 04
  jonnytub 20:03 27 Jul 04

usb2 is good for fast data transfer for things such as external hard disks or cd rewriters, etc, etc, if you dont use anything that would perform better with it such as these things, don't bother, printers, scanners are fine on usb1.1. personally i prefer firewire for my external backup drive, it makes shifting large files about easier, or have i just muddied the water?

Totally-braindead 20:08 27 Jul 04

Its backwards compatible so the only difference is speed, if you're doing video editing then USB1 won't be fast enough you'll need either USB 2.0 or firewire. Apart from the speed you won't notice any difference for many other things, and a lot of things which are listed as USB 2.0 such as printers are not really that much faster as they are locked to how fast the printer can actually print anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…