USB1 or 2??

electroplater 19:33 06 Oct 09

How can I determine if my usb ports are operating as 1 or 2.
I have an Msi motherboard KT4 Ultra which should give six usb2 ports. Device manager reports "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" but on plugging in some usb devices a message pops up saying the device would run faster if connected to a usb2 port, it offers the choice of all six ports as alternatives then gives the same message if I change ports.

Electroplater.

Technotiger 19:37 06 Oct 09

The word Enhanced in Devices means that you do have USB2.

Some ports, usually those in the front of thew case, may still be USB1.

electroplater 19:40 06 Oct 09

Thanks Technotiger

cocteau48 19:41 06 Oct 09

Have a look at this - click here

electroplater 19:46 06 Oct 09

Thanks cocteau48, already tried reloading driver but did not unplug all devices, will try again.

cocteau48 19:50 06 Oct 09

From what I have read it seems that this may be caused by re-plugging your USB devices into different ports from those into which they were originally installed.

Stuartli 20:18 06 Oct 09

Go to Device Manager and look at the Properties for each USB Root Hub>Power Management tab.

Uncheck the box regarding Switch off to save power as this can/may cause problems when reconnecting USB devices.

electroplater 15:49 07 Oct 09

Thanks Stuartli, that seems to have done the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…