USB1-2

joe95 23:08 01 Jul 04

Ihave had my new PC for 8mnths or so running XP Home.I noticed that it said printing by USB1 today whilst using the printer. My printer is USB2 compliant and have latest drivers,can't say I have seen this before.
Thanks

woodchip 23:13 01 Jul 04

Printer will not work any faster on a USB2, but you could have a look in the BIOS to see if USB2 is the choice that's Enabled

THE TERMINATOR 23:15 01 Jul 04

Are the ports on your PC USB 2? And deos this happen every time you print something....TT

joe95 23:20 01 Jul 04

don't know anything about the Bios.
Assumed new PC would be USB2

whybe 00:10 02 Jul 04

On doing a reformat I noticed that I was getting warnings that I was connecting USB 2 equipment to a USB 1 hub despite the fact that all USB sockets should have been USB 2. On investigating it seems that XP sometimes does not recognise USB 2 unless you have Service Pack 1 as well, and then you have to unpdate your hubs drivers.
Have a look at this click here;en-us;329632&Product=winxp
for how to do it. If the link does not work it is Microsoft Knowledge base article 329632. It worked for me.

Danoh 01:49 02 Jul 04

I reckon that its telling you your printer is connected to USB port # 1. Nothing to do with whether it is USB-1 or USB-2 protocol.

Try switching your PC off and moving your printers USB cable to another USB port and it will come up with a different USB port #.

joe95 13:29 02 Jul 04

No box appears when I print from Word or Works only when I use Serif, will move the cables and see what happens

joe95 13:38 02 Jul 04

changes cables over no change still printing to USB001.

terryr48 13:38 02 Jul 04

Try downloading belarc advisor-it will give you all the info you need about your system-if it reports usb enhanced ports you will know that they are usb 2 download here-click here

sil_ver 13:55 02 Jul 04

It's never a good idea to reinstall an OS with peripheral devices (USB or any other type except PS2)connected as it can confuse Windows.

joe95 14:18 02 Jul 04

terryr48.
got belarc as suggested only mentions
bus adapters
Sis PCI to USB enhanced controller
" " " " host "
USB Root Hubs.
I am not having any problems just thought it should have read USB2.
Am I right in thinking that USB2 just transfers data quicker not make printers etc. run faster?
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…