USB Wireless Mouse and Keyboard not loaded

560 21:09 24 Apr 09

This is a strange one that has the "Experts" baffled! I'm running XP Media Centre and have recently had the PC Proffesionally upgraded with increased memory,new Processor and Video Card. Everything works OK including all the USB peripherals - Printer, Scanner, external drive, Joystick etc. However, the USB wireless mouse and keyboard (which worked ok before the upgrade) are reconised by Windows but it then displays the 'New Hardware' screen and tries to find drivers for them, but of course there aren't any as its a plug and play usb device (Logitech). I've reverted to using PS/2 until its solved.
Anyone got any clues as to what might might be wrong?
Thanks 560

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 24 Apr 09

Upgrade the HID (Human Interface Device) drivers these are the ones for the keyboard and mouse

560 12:08 25 Apr 09

Hi Fruit Bat,
When plugged in the USB Wireless receiver for the mouse and keyboard show up on 'Other devices' in Device Manager and are shown as lacking drivers.
The HID stem is occupied by the Wireless Saitek Joystick which is working OK. ?

Pineman100 16:35 25 Apr 09

I'm watching this, because I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. Same OS, same symptoms, and still not resolved despite endless advice from Logitech.

I hope you have better luck!

Graphicool1 17:00 25 Apr 09

Have you tried unplugging them and plugging them into different USB ports? I've had devices stop working and after trying this for some reason they've started working again!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 25 Apr 09

check oem42.inf is in the winXP's INF folder (c:\windows\inf)

you need to put oem42.inf & oem42.pnf in that folder to trigger automatic installation.
download the file in the link below :

click here ip.html

560 20:23 25 Apr 09

Hello Folks, thanks for your input.
Pineman; oh dear not you too.
Graphicool1: yes plugged and unplugged in every USB. The professionals have spent over three hours trying to fix it without success so far!
Fruit Bat: both files are already present in Windows\Inf.

Graphicool1 18:08 27 Apr 09

There might be a conflict with some other plug-in device. Try unplugging everything except the mouse and keyboard. If they work alone, start adding other things until they stop.

560 19:27 27 Apr 09

Graphicool1
Yes we have tried progressively conecting all the USB devices. All the other devices work as they should exept the Mouse/Keyboard receiver. Tried them first and tried them last with the same result, as soon as the receiver is connected Windows always looks for drivers. Windows recognises what it is but will not treat it as a plug and play device as it did before the upgrade. I even thought there might be a problem with the receiver so I tried it on a friends XP Laptop and it loaded straight away without any problem. Its beginning to look like an OS re-installation job. Grrrrrrrrr!

wis 19:41 27 Apr 09

worth a go
This issue can be addressed in the BIOS, you need to enable Legacy USB Devices .
also change the Halt on Errors setting so that it ignores the fact there is no PS2 keyboard connected.

phono 19:57 27 Apr 09

I had a similar problem when connecting a, previously working, mobile phone via USB and no matter how many install/uninstall sequences performed windows continually looked for the drivers when it was connected, I finally solved the problem by choosing to install the drivers manually.

When windows looks for drivers choose the option to locate them manually, put the installation CD into the drive and then browse for their location on the CD and install from there.

Check device manager and if the device is still not installed properly choose to update the driver and again choose the option to locate the drivers yourself and again browse to them and install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…