Usb wireless adaptor or PCI Wireless card

skidzy 22:49 24 Sep 07

Im currently building a test pc soon to be placed in my workshop 200 feet away from the router.

The router is currently connecting 5 computers all xp.

My question is;

What is normally better a usb wireless adaptor or pci wireless card over the distance,if at all possible ?

I think im going to receive a poor connection,maybe im wrong.

As usual,all advice welcomed and appreciated.

Thankyou
Skidzy

PS
Looks like my previous router issue is ok now.click here

Strawballs 22:58 24 Sep 07

At that distance I would go with a USB with an extention wire so you can get the adapter up and away from the PC, because a PCI card has the ariel at the back of the tower which can suffer interference from the PC itself

click here

skidzy 23:03 24 Sep 07

Strawballs good idea,forgot about that and have a usb adaptor with lead and cradle.

The weakest connection in the house,is the one connected by pci card...hence why i started this thread.

Cheers for the idea Strawballs.

skidzy 23:07 24 Sep 07

Im off to bed now and will pop in tomorrow.

keep the ideas coming :-))

Strawballs 23:16 24 Sep 07

I have same problem 1 PCI card not bad but weakest and Laptop with built in that is designed that way not just an add on and is much better.

A friend of mine has a Linksys USB that came with his router and is on the end of quite a long wire and he gets a good connection from his garage at the bottom of his garden (not as much as 200') but quite a distance.

skidzy 14:08 25 Sep 07

Your method certainly seems the best idea, and as i have an usb adaptor same model/make as the router with extension cable...think this is the way to go.

Shall tick this now,thankyou Strawballs.

woodchip 14:17 25 Sep 07

Well for me a PCMCIA card for my 3Com reached up to 300ft but USB not as far. I would go for a PCI card if it's going in a box.

skidzy

Have you seen my thread? I connected my Laptop from WiFi without any protection with Laptop to Router, as the Encryption does not match the router. thought I would let you know.

skidzy 14:26 25 Sep 07

Hi Woody
Now you have totally thrown me :-))

Yes if i decided to get a pci card,it would be internal and not external.
However the only wireless machine that has a poor connection is currently the one with a pci card fitted with aerial,this has been moved around the house to see if its the walls blocking the signal....but no difference.

Though i do have a wireless card kicking around,i may just try both :-))

Now going to look at your new thread.

wrg 14:38 25 Sep 07

skidzy

I agree with strawballs. I could not get a connection with a PCI card from my router so I purhcased the linksys USB and got a very good reception.

skidzy 15:04 25 Sep 07

Thankyou for your input,luckily for me i have both here and if one is not successful-will try the other.

I wont be setting this rig up just yet,in about a months time,but will post back the best connection if i get one Lol.

skidzy 20:21 21 Oct 07

Ok,Wireless connection was a doddle,very good connection over roughly 150 feet using a usb adaptor same make as the router (D-Link).

Just got to get the PCLinuxos 2007 connected now as im dual booting between LOS and XP Pro.

Strawballs's post Mon, [email protected]:58 was the best method as the pci card was a very poor reception.

Cheers Strawballs.

PS;
it is amazing how far the signal can travel,especially when of the computers upstairs struggles and only 20 feet away,though going through the ceiling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…