USB - what have I got?

toadoftoadhall 23:59 18 Jun 03

Hi
I have an old PIII 500 machine here I bought from Gateway back in 1999. It has 2 USB ports on the back and I want to buy a hub to increase the number of USB devices I can plug in to save me groveling on the floor each time i want to use something.
Trouble is I'm not sure which ports I already have and therefore which hub to buy.
Can anyone tell me what to go for, i.e. USB 1.1, 2, etc, and where to get one?
Thanks

DieSse 00:07 19 Jun 03

Your system will have USB1 ports, and a hub cannot make them into anything else. If you get a hub, make sure you get a powered one.

Alternatively you could get a PCI card with up to four USB ports on it - in which case you could get a USB1 or a USB2 card. USB2 cards should come with drivers to enable them in earlier systems. Try and stay away from cards with Via USB chipsets., as they can be more problematical than other types.

You can get hubs and PCI USB cards at almost any computer shop, or any on-line store. I suggest you use a local shop (they're low cost from anywhere), and get some sort of "if it doesn't work can I exchange it" agreement.

woodchip 00:07 19 Jun 03

You will have version 1.1 Get a POWERD HUB

toadoftoadhall 00:09 19 Jun 03

I'll do just that - thanks to both of you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…