usb vs ethernet

rambus 21:50 30 May 03

i am accessing the net thru ntl, using a usb connection, and am very pleased with the service.
are there any noticable benifits changing to a ethernet connection, besides freeing up a usb port.
also if it is of benifit to change, is it a pain to reconnect to ntl.
thanks,rambus

King Diamond 22:01 30 May 03

I'm not sure on the benefits...does the documentation say how fast the USB connection is?

Ethernet is 10/100Mbps, but I don't know what USB is. NTL always seem to get newcomers to use their USB port for some reason and I'd like to know why. I have always used Ethernet/NIC/Lan cards, or whatever you like to call them.

Usually to change to Ethernet you have to phone NTL and get them to re-assign your MAC address to your Ethernet card. Basically switch your box off, plug it into your ethernet card, via a CAT 5 UTP cable, phone NTL and tell them what you wanna do. They will take you through it very easily. It's pretty straightforward.

You don't need to go through the whole NTL disc setup either. Just enter your DNS numbers into the Network Properties section in the control panel and away you go. As long as you get NTL to re-assign the MAC address to your ethernet cards IP.

Legolas 22:16 30 May 03

I have NTL BB and when first installed it ran from the USB connection but I had some problems with it conflicting with my USB scanner so I moved to an ethernet card. I run it from a modem not a set top box and I did have to run the set up disc again to set it up for ethernet but that was all I had to do. As to benefits apart from sorting out the conflict with my scanner I see no increase in speed. My advice would be if you are not having any problems then leave it as it is.

Despicable Desperado 22:22 30 May 03

Usb is faster than ethernet for BB - 12mbs vs 10mbs - but as speeds will never get that high it is irrelevant. On all NTL modems I have seen you have both connections (but this may not now be true). Changing from one to the other only meant running the setup disc. Stick to what works unless you really have to change.

rambus 22:26 30 May 03

thank you both for your replys, i guess its a matter of choice, thou i would think that ethernet
would be best if i choose to link 2 pc`s to the net. will sleep on it, thanks again.

broggs 09:29 31 May 03

my usb adapter slowed mypc down for some reason when I was copying discs.I had to dissconnect it to half the time it took on clone cd.I changed to ethernet and do not have a problem anymore.Had to run setup again though(you need your welcome letter and your password.Ring ntl and they will give you these if you have forgotton them.

March Hare 10:37 31 May 03

I swapped from USB to ethernet (NTL cable modem) this week, to free up a USB port.

I assumed I would have to use the NTL disc, and was going to ring them for details, but then came across this:

click here

Half way down the page it explains how to do it without the disc. It worked like a charm. I haven't noticed any difference in performance since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…