USB-USB connector

dublincity 02:53 13 May 04

I have a new PC on Win XP Pro and a very old PC on Win '98 SE. This old PC is about to be returned to me after re-formatting by my local repair-person. I'm aiming to get them to 'talk to one another' - I gather this is called 'home networking'. I understand that I cannot use either RJ-45 or HUB because I only have 2 slots in the old PC that are being used for the modem and the sound card. Having been advised that a USB-USB connector is an easy and inexpensive alternative, I have one on order.

What do I do when I get it? Will I need to download any software?

Most of the information that I've saved from the internet, help manuals and so on, is too technical for me. Any preliminary advice or links to useful websites will be appreciated. Many Thanks, Mike.

mgmcc 07:39 13 May 04

I wish you had asked here about networking before going down the USB/USB direct cable connection route. Your new PC will almost certainly have a network card installed and you don't need a free PCI slot in the old one - there are "USB Network Adapters" that just plug in so that you can connect the two PCs with a crossover ethernet cable (RJ-45 connectors).

However, the special USB/USB cable specifically designed for the connection of two PCs should include any necessary software.

byfordr 09:50 13 May 04

A nice simple pc to pc connection

You need one of these click here in each pc 10/100 and a length of this click here cat 5e crossover cable

or faster!

2 x 10/100/1000
click here and cat6 crossover x1 click here

Failing that you move into the realms of hubs, routers and switches, by the sounds of it way advanced of what you want to do.

HTH

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…