USB - unknown device

tloti 12:14 31 May 07

Hi - can anybody advise me?
I am trying to access the contents of the previous Hitachi HDD that was in this laptop, through a USB2.0 to SATA/IDE cable.The computer knows it is there but does not recognise it and says it has no device driver for this. I am told XP should handle it OK but obviously doesn't. Is it possible for me to access the contents of the old, now external HDD and if so, how?
Thanks - tloti

Technotiger 12:29 31 May 07

Hi, only guessing but perhaps the Jumpers need to be set like Master, Slave ....

Bit of info here about jumper settings ...

click here

click here

FreeCell 12:31 31 May 07

Not a direct solution but try using this utility to review your USB ports and history of drivers.You can then remove any no longer needed.

click here

T0SH 13:42 31 May 07

The USB "unknown device" is the Windows Plug and Play way of telling you that it does not recognise this device and is therefore unable to load the correct device driver so has loaded the default Unknown Device Driver

To get it to try again, firstly remove any Unknown Device entries from device manager then unplug the device from the USB port reboot your computer back up to a desktop then plug the device into another USB port the only driver CD needed should be your Windows XP CD and even this is only asked for on a rare occasion

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 31 May 07

1. make sure jumper on drive is set as Master

2. Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…