USB TV STICK: WHICH IS BEST PLEASE?

Claremarianne 11:22 05 Nov 07

We're thinking about getting a USB TV Stick for use with our PC. We'd like it for analogue and Freeview (can get Freeview here, good signal). Difficult to link it up with our main TV aerial though, would need to use an indoor one.

All thoughts welcomed please. Any recommendations as to which one? Are they easy to set up and use?

Grantrh 11:57 05 Nov 07

I haven't set one up myself but the freecom offering is good according to which? magazine, but from what I have heard you will need a good aerial to get the best from it.

Grantrh 11:58 05 Nov 07
  Grantrh 12:14 05 Nov 07

There are some user opinions here:
click here

Grantrh 12:18 05 Nov 07

Those user opinions are for the digital only one, although the analogue/digital should be similar and you can get all the analogue channels on digital anyway!

Claremarianne 12:48 05 Nov 07

Thanks Grantrh - will have a good look at the links you've suggested. The aerial bit is the problem - difficult to get an aerial to where the PC is without carving up half the house. We've got quite a good indoor one currently linked to a little used small TV, I was hoping that would do the trick.

Grantrh 12:55 05 Nov 07

Your welcome.
I understand completely what you mean but from the opinions I have seen the determining factor seems to be the strength of the signal that you get which is based on where you live and the capability of the aerial you are using.

amonra 13:32 05 Nov 07

A good signal is paramount for reliable reception of digital progs, so think carefully and try to put a splitter in your existing aerial lead and feed the new "stick" with that. Otherwise you will end up blaming the stick for poor reception, or the laptop, or the ............

Claremarianne 08:36 06 Nov 07

Many thanks to everyone for your advice. I think we're going to have to put the idea on hold for now, obviously got to sort out the aerial first, then invest in the TV stick afterwards.

Technotiger 09:00 06 Nov 07

I had a Freecom USB TV stick, with aerial splitter from my normal TV - however, my little 'stick' broke, I mean actually broke, came apart, my own fault! Anyway, I also have a Hauppage PCI TV card installed, which I did not actually use when the USB stick was ok. I am now back to using the PCI TV card and getting analogue as well as all the free-to-view digital channels via the same aerial splitter from my TV, which of course now has a digibox connected! In fact although I thought I got excellent reception from the USB stick on my PC, the reception I get now, on my PC, is even better than before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant