//some 3rd party need geo

USB transfer from/to PCs

huzzar 09:56 20 Mar 03

My friend has bought another PC and was told that he would be able to transfer his files from one PC to the other using a USB cable connected to both computers!

Does anyone know if this can be done and if so - how please?

Gongoozler 11:01 20 Mar 03

huzzar, this isn't something I've tried, but this product claims to do the job. click here

MAJ 11:09 20 Mar 03

Cheaper to install the old hard drive in the new computer and transfer the files that way. If he wants to transfer programs, he'll have to clone the old drive, using something like Norton Ghost.

jazzypop 12:19 20 Mar 03

Clarification please -

Is your friend looking to perform a one-off transfer of data from their old PC to their new one, or will they want to transfer data on a fairly regular basis (i.e. to network the PCs)?

How experienced is your friend with PCs - for example, would they be comfortable looking inside the case, do they understand creating Zip files, making backups to CD etc?

How much data is there to be transferred?

Which versions of Windows are on each PC?

Whatever you do, do not just buy a standard USB cable and try to use that. There are USB file-transfer cables available, but these are definitely not standard cables.

huzzar 12:30 20 Mar 03

OK jazzypop I've got all that. He was under the impression that it was as easy as putting a cable between the two and moving files accross. I will give him the information above and leave him with it.

I have learned a lot about the subject and recon that he should find another way to get his files from one to the other i.e. CDs, floppy's, Zips etc..

Thank you all for the help on this subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…