USB storage and file names XP to win98

wolfen 12:34 22 Mar 04

I am working (on osC) on lots of different computers, making local copies on each one an forgetting to take the copy with me, or even forgetting on which PC I made the code changes. So recently I bought an USB memory stick. And it's fantastic, I save all work on the stick, never forget where the latest code is and I have it at hand all the time. Even installed the latest Xampp on it, which is quite slow on the stick but it allows testing without uploading.

The problem is, when I save files (all lower case) on the stick using XP and open them on a win98 PC lots of files seem suddenly all upper case (only the first letter showing as upper case, since win98 has it's own ways of showing things). It does not happen to files which have an underscore in the filename. I tried what happened when I ftp from the win98 PC to a linux server then, and indeed the upper cases are there, and that's a problem of course. When I put the same stick with those same files back in the XP machine all upper case is gone again, also if ftp'ed to the linux machine. So under win98 the filenames seem to have changed but on XP they haven't.

It only happens when the files come from an XP PC, when I copy from 98 or linux to the stick the filenames remain all lower case.

Confused?
I certainly am.

If someone knows a better board to ask these kind of questions it would make me happy too.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…