USB Stopped Working

dogbreath1 19:00 16 Dec 08

XPSP3. Daughter had a problem with daily BSOD's (IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL USBPORT.SYS) Trying to troubleshoot these, we checked for the currency of drivers and updated the USB drivers.

Lost all use of USB ports so uninstalled USB's in Device Manager and let XP install it's own drivers which it duly did.

Still no USB so checked the BIOS to see whether USB was enabled which it seems to be.

Also, System Restore isn't working and a Last Good Configuration reset didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas where to go from here.

Technotiger 19:15 16 Dec 08

Had any hardware changes been made recently? Especially the RAM, possible RAM problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 16 Dec 08

How old is PC?

Could be early signs of a failing PSU.

dogbreath1 19:49 16 Dec 08

None at all. The only change we can associate with the onset of the BSOD's was the 'upgrade' to SP3. That's what spurred me on to install more compatible drivers.

dogbreath1 19:51 16 Dec 08

Just over 3 years old and it's used every day.

Technotiger 19:58 16 Dec 08

If you have more than one stick of RAM, remove each in turn and try again.

dogbreath1 20:14 16 Dec 08

Two sticks, 1024MB & 512MB.

Since losing USB functionality, there hasn't been one blue screen. Still think it might be a memory problem?

Technotiger 20:18 16 Dec 08

I think it is a possibility - trying to think logically in an effort to narrow down the possibilities.

I think it is called 'trial and error' :-)

dogbreath1 18:47 24 Dec 08

Can connect to wireless network in safe mode so USB sockets are working.

VOT Productions 19:07 24 Dec 08

Install newest drivers
If you did roll back them

dogbreath1 23:34 26 Dec 08

Decided to back up all documents onto CD, reinstall an image taken ages ago and the PC is back on line. Programs need adding and deleting, documents replacing and SP3 needs installing again etc., but it's a decent result. Couldn't get on line initially, but after disabling WEP and connecting, re-enabling WEP and getting a connection was a breeze. Thanks to all those who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac