USB sticks

watters03 12:32 29 Aug 06

are they pretty generic? i.e. can i buy this one
click here

and use it in my acer notebook?

sorry to be such a thicko but i really haven't much of a clue when it comes to computers! Also if i want to save something onto it, is that in the 'save' options on the computer? So if i want to save a document to be read on another PC i save it to the usb and then how do i pick it up?
Many many thanks for anyones help...!

silverous 12:37 29 Aug 06

Yes they are generic. Probably helps if your notbeook has USB2 on it for that one.

Some of them behave differently but generally it will appear as a new drive when you plug it in e.g. you will see say an "E:" in explorer/word/excel etc. In that sense it will behave similarly to your C drive on your laptop already. You just open up from it in the same way.

€dstowe 12:38 29 Aug 06

There should be no problem in doing as you propose.

As long as there is a USB connection on a computer, most storage devices like that will use generic Windows XP drivers.

keef66 12:41 29 Aug 06

as far as I know, yes.

If you're running windows xp you won't have to bother with installing drivers for it; just plug it in and it will show up in windows explorer as a removable disk.

I've used a wide range of them without problem.

Just remember not to unplug it while writing to it. I always use the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the notification area in the bottom r h corner of the screen just to be sure

Belatucadrus 12:46 29 Aug 06

Are they generic ? If you're using Windows XP the answer is yes, If you've got W98 it gets a bit more complex as it'll need a driver to work properly and sometimes this isn't provided.
So the answer is a qualified yes.
As to the save option, yes it'll show up as a new drive on your options list once it's plugged in, just use Save As and navigate to the USB drive as your location.
Opening is easy, just navigate to the file on the USB drive and double click as usual. The only potential hiccup is if you save a file using a program that isn't available on the other computer which would then be unable to open it. One way around this is to keep portable versions of programs on the drive and move the whole lot round, ensuring you always have a suitable program to open the document/file you've created click here for some options.

Sethhaniel 12:59 29 Aug 06

some audio files if you have all the properties ie artist title etc,. these details are lost when copying - also extra files on pictures etc aare sometimes lost

watters03 13:01 29 Aug 06

Just quickly can anyone recommend a USB stick or is the one i have linked to a fairly decent one...i'm not sure what makes them good or bad!

silverous 13:31 29 Aug 06

I've never used dabsvalue although that one certainly does seem to be good value. I've always had good experiences with Belkin who include some software and also a USB extension with theirs. Given that they are generic though you should be fine, although you can't really be sure of the quality of 'dabs value' but equally have no reason other than price to question it.

It depends on how much you want to risk the data, if you go for a 'premium' brand memory stick such as a disgo or a belkin or some other then you are in theory buying quality. With dabsvalue it doesn't quite sound like where you want to keep all your important data. If you can afford for it to fail (e.g. you have the data elsewhere - as you always should anyway really) then go with this one and I'm sure it'll be fine.

watters03 13:41 29 Aug 06

now i feel silly....and cheap!
thanks for your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now