USB Stick Unrecognised

Swampy 06:01 18 Oct 14

I am running Windows 7. My PC will no longer recognise either of my two 64Gb Sandisk Cruzer Switch USB memory sticks. After inserting into any of the USB slots Windows eventually knows there is a stick in there but tells me the folder is empty, which it isn't. I can use both sticks with no problem at all on my laptop running Vista. I use them to store copies of all my several thousand photos, as my laptop hard drive is small. Any new photos I now have to copy onto another USB stick and then transfer them to the Cruzer Switch using the laptop. Any ideas please?

BillSers 08:46 18 Oct 14

I had a similar problem with my vista pc and the file format on the flashdrive was fat32 so I converted to ntfs and it worked.

Swampy 08:49 18 Oct 14

All USBs are fine.

Swampy 08:52 18 Oct 14

BillSers - I'm not sure how they are formatted, but Windows7 used to recognise them when I first installed it, but now it doesn't want to know.

BillSers 11:12 18 Oct 14

Same on my Vista. One day working and then not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 18 Oct 14
  1. Get a decent size external drive and back up all your photos USB memory is only good for a short term, USB sticks do not last forever

2. Now to your problem - Refresh USB Ports

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or In

Swampy 15:41 18 Oct 14

Hi Fruit Bat. I'll give it a try. As a matter of interest, I keep a back-up of all my files including all the photos on a 1 terabyte USB external hard drive. The USB sticks are much easier to carry around to show others my photos. Thanks for the reply.

Swampy 16:39 20 Oct 14

Solved! Thanks Fruit Bat. I ran Drive Cleanup and then rebooted. On inserting the USB stick new drivers were installed and the stick was recognised. Brilliant!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac