USB stick not recog when plugged into k'board

terendak_uk 19:25 30 May 04

Nor when plugged into monitor. Will work fine if plugged into PCI card at rear of PC. Got Win XP Home with all updates. USB mouse and compact flash memory card reader works fine, tho, when plugged into keyboard USB. Is this a power issue? Be very grateful for advice.

Graham ® 19:29 30 May 04

Yes, it is most likely a power issue. There is only 500ma available on a hub (usually 2 ports on a hub). Check in Device Manager.

terendak_uk 19:39 30 May 04

checked it......yep. mouse is taking 100mA on one of the two keyboard USB ports on the MS internet k'board pro. How much does an Integral 256MB memory stick need? If I take out the mouse, using one port ( memory stick) I still don't get a recog for it. If I plug in the reader and the mouse ( 100mA each) no prob. Same with LCD panel.....two ports not in use..plug in same memory stick and nada. Does it require more than 200mA? At work I have a USB hub( two port) that is connected to the PCI USB card....the memory stick works fine with that( work is XP Pro). Thanks, G

Satmansq 19:58 30 May 04

All of the usb items on my system that do not have there own power supply, require a direct connection to the motherboard for sufficient power, even a pci card does not appear to supply enough.

terendak_uk 20:18 30 May 04

What OS? Funny, then, that my memory stick works well off a PCI card. Wonder if the power supply should be upgraded.

terendak_uk 21:27 30 May 04

gratefuly recd

terendak_uk 19:07 31 May 04

Would be most grateful for explanation.Surely a memory stick plugged into one of the two available key board USB ports doesn't draw as much power as the two fuly functional devices currently plugged in( the memory card reader and the mouse)?

terendak_uk 06:02 02 Jun 04

it was. Put in a Freecom USB stick and that worked . Must be the Integral stick, for some reason

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…