USB Stick Malfunctioning

dottm 17:12 29 Nov 08

Hi,

Im looking for a bit of help. I have a USB stick in which i have been saving lots of data for my university placement on. I know i should have been creating a back-up but due to sensitive information that is contained on the drive my placement advised that i should not create a backup on my computer at work for security reasons as i do not have my owl log-in and have been so busy i have not had a chance to do it at home.

I then went to plug it into my hub at home to back-up and the drive got very hot and stopped working, now when ever i try plugging the drive into any computer it says windows cannot recognise the USB device and it has malfunctioned and i cannot access it.

I have tried checking under storage management in admin tools and tried a search is there anything i can do to revive some life into this? I know i should have backed-up the content i just hope it isnt going to be a hard lesson for me.

Any help really would be appreciated as im in my final year of Uni and struggling already,

Thanks in advance,
Scott

woodchip 17:16 29 Nov 08

Sorry to be the carrier of bad news but it looks like the stick is shot. Can you see it in Windows? as removable drive

dottm 17:32 29 Nov 08

Hi Woodchip, no i cant see it in windows atall, i was wondering if opening it up and checking would help atall or am i just clinging onto hope :(

woodchip 20:50 29 Nov 08

Have a look to see if it shows in Disc Management. Right Click My Computer\Manage\disc Management

m800afc 21:11 29 Nov 08

Have you tried using O7O Disk Recovery? It solved my similar problem quickly and easily.

click here

m800afc 21:12 29 Nov 08

Sorry, shoul read:
O&O Disk Recovery.

dottm 21:41 29 Nov 08

hi woodchip i have tried checking it under device manager and it shows as an unknown device. when i plug it in it lights up and windows says it can see it but when it is installing it for use it comes up saying it is unrecognized.

Ill give O&O a bash m800afc, see if it solves anything

dottm 21:48 29 Nov 08

m800afc, i have downloaded and attempted to recover it but it is not working as windows does not recognize the usb stick as a drive so i cannot select it to recover :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 30 Nov 08

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.
If its not totally FUBAR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac