USB stick to improve performance

DerekE 10:37 06 Nov 07

Someone mentioned that you can use a USB stick to improve performance.

I have a spare 2Gb stick and am running Windows Vista on my laptop (it has 2Gb of RAM already), can anyone tell me what I need to do to set this up please?

Does it really make a difference as I want to improve the speed of video and photo editing which is quite slow and also playing Flight Simulator?

Thanks

BurrWalnut 10:42 06 Nov 07

Give it a try. I've never seen much, if any improvement.

Plug in the stick then right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management, then right-click the stick and choose ReadyBoost.

Taff™ 10:44 06 Nov 07

ReadyBoost instructions from Microsoft click here

I am Spartacus 10:54 06 Nov 07

Probably not worth it. Gordon Laing did an article in PCW Magazine. An overview click here

I am Spartacus 11:00 06 Nov 07

Full article at click here

DerekE 12:36 06 Nov 07

Thanks everyone, doesn't sound too hopeful but nothing to lose as the USB stick is spare, I will try it tonight and report if there has been any improvement. Looks as though with 2Gb of RAM on my laptop I am not going to notice any difference.

Taff™ 18:39 06 Nov 07

It has to be the right type of USB stick though - afetr reading the initial thread I tried 3 of mine and none of them were suitable according to Vista. Hey ho!

DerekE 18:00 07 Nov 07

Taff, you are right I tried both the spare (2Gb) and my main one (4Gb) and neither of them work, I wonder what is required?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…