USB speeds ???

puterdunce 19:57 17 Dec 07

I plugged in my usb disgo data storage stick into my 2nd hand compaq evo laptop and got a message saying I had connected a Hi speed device into a slow speed port or something like that but it did download the files I wanted to transfer. A couple of questions I have are firstly can I upgrade the port myself but if I don't/can't and I buy a dial up dongle from an ISP for internet connections away from home will it still work?

Quiller. 20:03 17 Dec 07

' firstly can I upgrade the port myself '

No. But you could upgrade to usb 2.0 if you have a pcmcia card slot.

' I buy a dial up dongle from an ISP for internet connections away from home will it still work? '

Yes. Even if you are on very fast broadband ( eg. 20Mb cable ), the dongle will work but maybe not at full speed.

Devil Fish 20:08 17 Dec 07

sounds like your compaq is usb 1.0 and the device you are using is usb 2.0 though most devices are compatible albeit running at a slower speed

as for a dial up dongle cant say i have heard of one of those

check your laptop it may have a dial up modem built in that will just need a cable attached

CharlWa 08:07 19 Dec 07

It sounds u r using the usb 1.0 to connect a USB 2.0 Device, u need to buy a new USB 2.0 to PCMCIA Card

click here
click here
click here
click here

tullie 16:52 19 Dec 07

Dont worry about usb 1 or 2,its not a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…