//some 3rd party need geo

USB socket wiring

timerep 14:46 03 May 05

Hi Guys can anyone tell me what the correct sequence of wiring a USB socket is. I have one that I wish to put on the front panel of the pc but the plug wont fit the socket on the motherboard. I have another one that will but the colour coding of the wire differs viewing a usb socket from the front what pin is what if I can find this out I can make sure the connection is correct as I dont want to muck anything up.

DieSse 15:00 03 May 05

The motherboard end depends on your motherboard make and model, they're not standard. It'll be in the manual, if you haven't got that, give us the make and model and we'll help find it for you.

timerep 15:43 03 May 05

its an MSI 6390 version 1 micro atx board if thats any help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 03 May 05
  DieSse 17:40 03 May 05

I've tried several times to get the manual, unsuccessfully. Do you have the manula? - If so it'll tell you how the connector on the motherboard is wired.

Then you must match the wiring for your USB sockets to it.

There are four basic wires for each socket

+5V
Ground
Data+
Data-

They may not be labelled exactly like this - but you should be able to work out which is which from the above. Sometimes you will find an extra Ground wire - sometimes not.

Hope this helps, I can't get any further at present.

To re-iterate - wiring on the motherboard varies - you MUST check in the manual for yours.

DieSse 17:42 03 May 05

PS - wiring colours are not standard, but Red is normally +5V and Black is normally Ground

timerep 22:33 03 May 05

thanks guys.

woodchip 22:51 03 May 05

Red goes to pine 1, you should see the one on the mobo, black goes to other end of socket cannot remember others, but the red and black must go as above. I think it was green next to red

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…