USB to Serial / PCMCIA to Serial

dms05 11:11 06 May 06

I have several laptops without legacy RS232 Serial connectors. I have bought 2 different USB to RS232 cables but I cannot make them work (XP reports them installed and enabled but the Serial device on the end of the cable isn't recognised).

I have Siemens and Nokia phone that connect via their respective cables and they seem to use the same driver as the USB/RS232 cable (Prolific Serial Device). I can only make the Siemens SF65 work and have to connect the Nokia via IR.

I'm assuming each device is trying to claim preference over the Prolific driver and the Siemens is winning! However is their any way I can make the other devices work? I've tried connecting each to different USB ports (directly and via a hub) and installing the driver each time but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas what I do next?

dms05 16:55 06 May 06

I've taken the plunge and reinstalled XP Pro and SP2 on one of my laptops. Then I installed the Prolific Serial Cable Driver before anything else. The RS232 to USB cable now works! However I now have to have a laptop for each USB RS232 device! I will load the rest of my usual software (less any other known user of the same driver) and see how I get on. I'm currently downloading an enormous number of XP updates (40 at the last count)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…