usb scanner problem

jammin 15:33 08 Mar 05

can anyone help? my scanner is connected to my pc via usb port (usb1) sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - same for the printer

I reboot and it still doesnt work - then out of nowhere it recognises the device and starts to operate - whats going on?

It usually doesn't work when I need it - ie rignt now

CFBUK 15:45 08 Mar 05

Try checking your USB settings to make sure that the two versions are compatible

jammin 16:14 08 Mar 05

errrm how do I check the usb settings?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 08 Mar 05

Control Panel - hardware - Device manager - any yellow exclamation marks.

Your printer and scanner are heavy users of the power available from the USB ports and may not work together but may work when pluggged in one at a time.

jammin 19:30 08 Mar 05

no exclamation marks - unplugged the printer - still no joy

jack 19:46 08 Mar 05

To amplify Fruit Bat

Does the scanner plug to PC alone or does it have
its own power supply [A mains'Brick']
If the former then it is pullung too much power
from the PC, and will kill other USB ports
Best to get a 'self powered' scanner

spuds 20:17 08 Mar 05

I had a similar problem with the usb feeds to my scanner,printer,bb modem, card reader etc. I purchased a cheap 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card from eBuyer. Fitted that and all my problems were solved.Don't worry about your pc being usb1 or usb2. The computer should sort that out, unless you have an old motherboard and pc.

Another suggestion is to check on the component drivers, and see if they are updated. If you are using XP, then that should help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…