USB Sata Drive

mowthecat 18:00 26 Oct 06

I was advised that a SATA 2.5" drive in a USB enclosure would be seen as a "Mass Storage Device" by my non-SATA PC - but it doesn't! I seem to be stuck with an 80GB drive that is useless! Is there any suitable driver or software that can be used on my laptop to see this Drive?

anskyber 18:04 26 Oct 06

If your place of purchase said that then ask them to show you or take it back. Sorry,I cannot help on whether it should work. If it came with software on a CD have you installed it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 26 Oct 06

When you plug it in does XP come up with a message new hardware found?

If so the drive may need to be formated in device manager befor it is seen in My computer.

mowthecat 18:51 26 Oct 06

The software on the cd states for Windows 98 only - I am on XP.
Xp did come up with a message - hardware found etc. but only after several minutes. I have tried device manager but it is not listed.

ed-0 18:56 26 Oct 06

Right click my computer > manage > disk management. Is the drive listed in the right hand window.

mowthecat 08:12 27 Oct 06

The disk is not shown - tried to respond last night but the website seemed to go down!

ed-0 11:45 27 Oct 06

Have you tried a different usb port?

mowthecat 11:48 27 Oct 06

Yes - tried other ports and other PC's. Fujitsu technical help say "The answer is no as your PC system supports IDE only so you will need to either upgrade your Motherboard to support SATA or purchase a PCI card that has the SATA interface from a Computer Retail outlet." So it looks like i'll have to try to sell it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…