USB Root Hub - what is it?

Oldcodger 19:40 12 Apr 03

Can anyone help with a little theory - I fitted a PCI/USB card and found it would not work on 3 out of 5 peripherals. I have since solved the problem by removing it and adding 2 more USB ports from the USB header on the M/board.
The Dev. Man'r tells me I have
2 - PCI to USB Open Host Controllers
and, 2 - USB Root Hubs
As there are 4 apparently independent USB sockets, how come there only 2 of each "items" above and where does PCI come in in relation to USB? If they are controlled by the same chip, how come my PCI/USB card doesn't work properly?
I know this is only academic but I'm dying to know more. I'll appreciate any comments.

Gongoozler 20:35 12 Apr 03

Hi Oldcodger. You should be able to find the answers to almost any USB question at click here, a good starting point could be this page:- click here

Oldcodger 20:29 13 Apr 03

Gongoozler - thanks for that - interesting site for finding answers to problems but doesn't answer my basic question on how USB works. I have solved the problem as I said - I'm just very curious . I saved the site pages and I'll read again to see if I can get more out of them.

Gongoozler 21:17 13 Apr 03

Hi Oldcodger. I think this one could have your answer click here. This one also has some interesting bits, but I think it is less useful click here.

Gongoozler 21:18 13 Apr 03

Hi Oldcodger. I think this one could have your answer click here. This one also has some interesting bits, but I think it is less useful click here.

Oldcodger 19:42 14 Apr 03

Gongoozler - many thanks! I think that's about as much as I'm going to get on the subject short of buying a very technical book and it seems to cover what I want to know.
I agree about the second option 'how stuff works' it was my first port of call actually - a bit too general.
I'll call this resolved - thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…