USB risers on MO-BO. IN OP?

Dorsai 12:23 17 Jul 04

My motherboard, and abit MK7-Raid, has two USB ports built in, and a riser (if that is the correct word) on the board, onto which i can attach, via two wires, a PCI size card, to get two more USB ports. these new ports are then in among the various other cards screwed into my machine.

I have a click here from PC world plugged in, but the two ports don't work. Do i need to install any special drivers to get these two additional ports to work?

I have a USB printer, BB modem, and digicam, and don't want to keep having to pull the PC out from under my desk and fiddle around in the back of it, when i should be able to plug all three in at the same time to start with.

Any help appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:52 17 Jul 04

1. make sure plugs are correct way round

2. in bios try enable usb for dos

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 17 Jul 04
  pj123 13:12 17 Jul 04

I have a 4 port USB hub which is "blue-tacked" to the top of my unit. You lose one port on the back of the computer, but gain 4 easily accessible ports without having to grovel round the back.

Eric10 14:17 17 Jul 04

I've searched for an Abit MK7-Raid motherboard but couldn't find one, nor any Abit motherboard starting with an M. I did, however, find a model KT7-Raid so perhaps this is the one you mean. I also looked at the picture of the USB ports from PC World and if this is an actual photograph then you are going to need to rewire the plugs to match the motherboard. Check your motherboard manual as this should tell you the connections needed for the USB header. I can tell you that the colours on the plugs of your USB ports are as follows:

Red = Vcc, White = Data-, Green = Data+, Black = Ground, The remaining wire is an earth screen and doesn't need to be connected at the motherboard end as it is earthed at the bracket end.

If I am right about your motherboard being a KT7-Raid then the wiring sequence for each plug should be:

Pins 1 and 2 = No Connection, Pins 3 and 4 = Vcc0 and Vcc1 (red), Pins 5 and 6 = Data0- and Data1- (white), Pins 7 and 8 = Data0+ and Data1+ (green), Pins 9 and 10 = Ground0 and Ground1 (black).

I have often used this type of USB panel and more often than not I have to rewire them to suit a particular motherboard. The pins can be removed from the plugs by gently easing up the plastic strips at each pin position using a thin blade and pulling on the wire.

Dorsai 01:42 19 Jul 04

Sorry But i carefully did what you suggested, and it was a really bad idea. It blew up my on-board USB controller. Not blaming you, 'if it aint broke dont fix it'. Should have done what i intended in the first place, and bought a PCI USB card.

I very carefully re-wired the connectors, following the wiring instructions supplied with my Mobo, data+, -, grnd, etc, and it has taken me from 4PM sat till now, 1AM Monday morning to get my USB modem to reset. It basically crashed, and it was not plugged into the new USB ports i was trying to activate, but the on-board ones. In the end i had to buy a USB PCI card to get any(working)/extra USB ports. And then it took a day to get going.

Marjory FUBAR, with a tad of SNAFU thrown in for good measure.

Any way i am at last back. customer support for my service provider were a bit chocolate fireguard, but then they seem to be somewhere overseas, have English as a second language, and know less about computer that me, which means not a lot.

Dorsai 01:44 19 Jul 04

It also totalled my ADSL filter, but fortunatly i had a spare.

Dorsai 01:51 19 Jul 04

And it really upset my printer (also USB) which has refused to print more than a 1/4 page without hanging till now. Joys of computing!

I just wish i knew what i did to get it working again, apart from try repeatedly to get it working, till it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…