usb query

lesser1010 14:39 18 May 06

i am looking to buy an external hard drive for my pc and would like to know the difference between usb 1/1 and usb 2 connection and hi speed do i find out what mine is?

rodriguez 14:48 18 May 06

It should say on the box, but USB 2 is a lot faster than USB 1. You'll find that if it's an external hard drive it should be USB 2 anyway. You'll need USB 2 ports in the back of your computer though for it to operate at full speed. They look exactly the same as normal USB ports, but are faster. To check if your ports are USB 2, go to Control Panel, System, Hardware then Device Manager. Click on + sign next to Universal Serial Bus controllers which is at the bottom. In the list that comes up if there is one that says "USB Enhanced Controller" then you have USB 2, if it doesn't say enhanced then you have USB 1 and the drive will work at the slower USB 1 speed. You can also buy internal PCI cards with USB 2 sockets on them.

lesser1010 14:54 18 May 06

thanks very much rodriguez

DieSse 01:14 19 May 06

Hi-Speed USB is only possible on a USB2 input. Do not confuse this with Full Speed USB, which is not the same.

Useful additional reading. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…