USB problems - devices kind of freeze PC

mcds01 12:05 29 Jun 05

Ok I'm having a major problem with USB on my PC. Whenever I plug a device (such as my ipod or phone) The screen flickers and I can no longer move my mouse sideways - the pointer only goes up and down. Windodws XP finds the devices OK but I cant do much because I have no mouse control.

Any ideas? I have checked all jumper settings and they appear to be fine.

I have a slight inkling that it may be a power issue? It doesnt seem to happen with devices that dont draw much power - a 256Mb USB drive for example.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Graham ® 12:15 29 Jun 05

Check in Device Manager, USB Root Hub, Action, Properties, Power.

Graham ® 12:17 29 Jun 05

Also, try putting the PC into standby, then plugging the device in. This will wake up the PC without frightening it to death.

mcds01 13:09 29 Jun 05

What am i looking for in the power section?

Graham ® 13:49 29 Jun 05

You can see what power the various devices are drawing, and maybe re-arrange them. The maximum power available is normally 500mA, so plugging in a high power device to a hub already near this figure will cause problems.

You may have to invest in an additional hub or an external powered hub. Any ADSL modem needs to be on a hub on the PC, preferably on its own.

jack 14:01 29 Jun 05

There are two kinds of USB devices.
Those that rely on power from the PC through the cord, and those that are self powered - like a printer.

The more of the former[those that rely on the PC for power] are plugged in the more power drain there is on the power supply, Eventually the computer will stop/freeze or even shut down.

The good rule is

If you aint using it - un plug it!

woodchip 14:27 29 Jun 05

This is a XP USB driver don't know if you have loaded it click here=

Also check this link out http: // support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=1173&mode=r&cat=false&query=USB+2.0+Hibernate+Patch&x=0&y=0&srch=sup
Copy paste the link above into address bar then close spaces before and afyrt // then press enter

mcds01 15:35 29 Jun 05

This happens when I have no devices in at all - I plug in my ipod and it will "freeze" surely an ipod shouldnt use up all the available power?

I have SP2 installed which i belive has the apprioriate usb2 drivers.

mcds01 15:40 29 Jun 05

Just been chatting to someone and they reckon it could be my power supply. Its pretty old - 250W I think.

I have 3 hard drives in the machine so maybe its just an issue of there not bieng enough power!?

Graham ® 16:56 29 Jun 05

You could be right, 250W is not enough these days. Choose a new one carefully click here

bruno 17:01 29 Jun 05

Are you plugging it in directly to the PC or going through a hub?Try it direct with nothing else in,if you have not already done so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…