USB Problems

MBB 13:43 10 Apr 04

Help &advic wanted on instaling usb 1.1 pci card in my old packard bell executive pc.
Modle A940 4/4E640
Thousand oaks m/board
128 mb ram
Original pentium 1 100 mhz prossesor upgraded with evergreen spectra 333mhz kit
Bios upgraded to mr bios v4.6 that came with kit
Sumvison V92/56 modem pci card fitted working ok.
O/S Win 98se
Problme- windows recognises &installs pci card (opti 1.1)& device manager says card is working ok. Plug in any usb device &following message appears indevice manager unknowen device yellow circle !.Have tried ALL ways , wizzards, instuctions, installed& updated drivers & know matter what i do systme will not recognise any usb device pluged in,allways get same message in divice manager unknown device yellow circle!.
Have run USB READY &says systme is ok.
Am i asking to much of this old (circ 1997)cumputer to run usb??any help,advice greatly apriceate
Mike

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:45 10 Apr 04

You need to instal the drivers before you plug the device in so windows will know what it is.

Regards.

MBB 14:04 10 Apr 04

Have tried this Nickname,still get same message!

Mike

Brian-336451 14:08 10 Apr 04

If your computer is that old, are you sure that the motherboard supports USB?

961 14:16 10 Apr 04

Have you tried a different PCI slot?

Tried SSSSSandra check on system to look for fault somewhere?

Just wonder about 128 ram

Are the usb devices you have tried self powered or are they hoping to draw power from the card? This can often cause difficulty

Belatucadrus 14:36 10 Apr 04
  MBB 15:21 10 Apr 04

have tried both self powered & devices drawing power from usb,no diffrence.Computer has 4 32mb 72pin memory sticks fitted.Have also tried diffrent pci slot.

I am unsure if m/board supports usb would presume not,suspect this may be the hart of the problem .M/board is Intel thousand oaks with a riser that has 2pci & 3isa slots.Have been unable to find any other info about it.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…