USB Problem ( I Think)

Pererin 12:30 14 Sep 06

Hi Gang, I'm having a problem with items connected via usb. Firstly my scanner will only work if you unplug then reconnect, while computer is on, and I have a message pop up about something called TWAIN error. Now my son's flash drive will not work on my computer as it is not recognised, yet it works ok in my son's machine.I looked on Sandisk site and they say no driver required for the flash drive. So once again HELP please as I am lost as to the next step.

Totally-braindead 12:35 14 Sep 06

What Operating system? XP? The scanner, does it have its own power supply or does it take its power from the USB and how many other things are connected? Regarding the TWAIN error deleting and reinstalling the scanner may solve that, actually thats probably the reason its not working and you have to unplug it. Try that first, delete and reinstall the scanner software.

Pererin 13:10 14 Sep 06

Sorry for lack of info, I have XP pro,the scanner is powered by the computer and I have tried reinstalling it from scratch. All other equipement via usb are mouse, key board, printer,my flash drive,external hard drive( only used to back up so rarely on) and all these work fine. Any other info let me know. Thanks

Totally-braindead 13:17 14 Sep 06

I suspect that power may be the problem. You do appear to have quite a few USB devices there and there is only so much power the USB can supply. What I would try is disconnecting the USB devices you don't need and see whether what is left works at boot up. If you know what I mean.
I have an annoying USB problem myself and eventually traced it to my router. For some reason it was dragging so much power from the USB sometimes the mouse wouldn't even work. The solution in my case was to buy an internal one.
Try booting up with only the mouse and keyboard connected, then try again with the scanner and then with the scanner and printer and so on and see what it does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…