USB Problem:-

Mr K.Kong 16:03 29 Dec 07

I recently purchased a Archos 605 wifi 40GB and my operating system is windows xp.

The problem I am having is getting the pc to see the usb cable. Is there a driver problem as this device should be a plug and play device?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would greatly appreciated and will save me ripping more hair out of my head :)

many thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 29 Dec 07

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

rdave13 16:53 29 Dec 07

Try connecting to usb then power up the pleyer.

rdave13 16:54 29 Dec 07

Ahem..pleyer = player.

dms05 17:47 29 Dec 07

On my wife's 4GB mp3 player it has to be turned 'on' before the PC will read the memory.

Mr K.Kong 21:52 29 Dec 07

Ive tried all of the above but with no luck.

When the Archos is plugged into the usb port the pc says "found new hardware a605" and the found new hardware wizard is opened and asks to install the software from the cd or from a file on the pc. There is no software for this device as it is a plug and play device? I have also searched the archos website for software or driver updates but again without any luck..

In device manager the Archos is shown in the list as a605 but not under the usb ports and there is a yellow question mark next to this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:33 29 Dec 07

yellow question mark

right click - properties - will probly showing code 10 drivers not installed.

click here

Mr K.Kong 13:06 30 Dec 07

Code 1 the device is not configered properly, please click to reinstall drivers to which the found new hardware wizard is opened again??

there is a download from archos for all the drivers for there devices but when i try and get the found new hardware wizard to search this file it doesnt find anything?? very strange.

Mr K.Kong 13:31 30 Dec 07

ok just got the device working as it should on our laptop, no problems there.

But on the desktop, does this mean something within the pc is corrupted or missing?

Something of note ... that I probably shouldve put before... is that I have started having a few problems with drivers of my dvd drive and cd drives, both of which when the pc is started opens the found new hardware wizard and again asks me to install the software for these drives. Thing is again there is no software for these drives as they are again plug and play and windows should find the drivers automatically.

What is missing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 30 Dec 07

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Les 14:45 30 Dec 07

Mr K.Kong:

I have the Archos 604 wifi and, when connected to the computer I can read the contents of the 604's hard drive by means of Explorer - it shows up as an extra drive.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5