A USB Problem

Mac70 17:09 26 Jul 07

I have a user on another forum, who thought he may have a USB problem, so called up the Dell helpdesk where he was told to re-install the drivers.
Result is, he uninstalled and now cant work his mouse or keyboard.
It's an E521 which doesnt appear to have any PS/2 sockets.
Anyone know of a workaround?

Earthsea 17:27 26 Jul 07

In XP, you can tap the F8 key on boot up and select Last Known Good Configuration. Don't know if it'll work, though.

skidzy 18:22 26 Jul 07

As you have no keyboard its going to be impossible to access safemode.

Try another keyboard first.
Also disconnect the keyboard then reboot the system and try the keyboard again.

If you can get a keyboard to work,try tapping F11...this should enter the recovery/restore partition if one exists.
You should then have three options,select repair.

skidzy 18:23 26 Jul 07

As you have no keyboard its going to be impossible to access safemode.

Try another keyboard first.
Also disconnect the keyboard then reboot the system and try the keyboard again.

If you can get a keyboard to work,try tapping F11...this should enter the recovery/restore partition if one exists.
You should then have three options,select repair.

xania 20:48 26 Jul 07

The simplest is to get a Serial/USB adaptor then connect keyboard and mouse via Serial ports while you sort out the problem.

Mac70 21:37 26 Jul 07

He mentioned getting into Safe Mode, so he must have some keyboard functionality. So Ive told him to try the F11 approach or use his Recovery disk to Repair.
Failing that, he may well have to create a DOS disk and download the BIOS update from Dell onto his working pc, though I think his level of know how is low.

The Serial/USB connection may come after that.

Mac70 22:43 26 Jul 07

I had to admit defeat, and directed him to a techie room to be helped. (Pass the buck? Me?). Thanks anyway everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…