USB problem

s99Raj 23:12 28 Mar 04

I'ma having problems that whenever I connect any USB device to the USB connector on the motherboard, then both the mouse and the keyboard freeze - neither respond at all and I have to turn the PC off and back on again when everything is normal.

I have completely wiped the hard disk, and first loaded W98SE on it. The USB port worked fine and so did the devices I connected to it (which happened to be a camera and a BT wireless adapter); W98 detected them immediately. I then upgraded to XP Professional, and this is when the problem started. Any USB device locks the keyboard and mouse. I've also tried formatting the hard disk straight from XP and installing XP that way but still get the same problem.

I can connect the devices to another PC which has XP Prof on it and the devices work perfectly OK. But for some reason they don't work with XP on the other PC. I've checked the device manager and the USB controllers seem to be there. The motherboard is a MS 6309 Version 1.1 and I have downloaded the XP drivers for it from the manufacturer's website but still get the same problem everytime I connect a USB device.

Any suggestions please?

woodchip 23:20 28 Mar 04

Have you tried with SP1 for XP

s99Raj 23:23 28 Mar 04

Yes, I've tried it with Service Pack 1 and all updates to Feb 2004.

woodchip 23:28 28 Mar 04

Then it must not like your Hardware setup. You could try Going into BIOS when you start computer up and disable plug and play Windows will then configure all the P&P it's worth a try as you can always reset it

woodchip 23:31 28 Mar 04

PS also disable Power Managment

s99Raj 23:34 28 Mar 04

I'll try disabling those items tomorrow (it's getting late now) and see if they make any difference. By the way, how do I re-post a post?

woodchip 16:45 29 Mar 04

Just look at My Postings above to see all your post's

s99Raj 22:37 30 Mar 04

sorted - all I had to do was what I thought of in the first place but was a bit shaky about doing so : I updated the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…