USB Problem

wizardofmann 13:02 17 Mar 04

I have an intermittent fault with my usb. Everything in device manager looks fine. The problem is that the only way I can get a connection to the internet (i have a usb ISDN modem)is by unplugging the usb connector and then plugging it in again!

I also get the same situation with my scanner. In the middle of a scan it stops responding but it only happens intermittantly. I carry out the same proceedure as above and it works fine, for a while.

I found a similar problem on a usb forum and the question of the power supply kept coming up. I fitted a new 550w supply yesterday but the problem persits.

If anyone can help I would be most gracious as it is doing my head in!

Newuser4165 13:36 17 Mar 04

There's a 500mA current limit on the USB port which your devices are exceeding.
You can work around the problem by installing a separate USB PCI card - use a USB2 cardThey cost around £8 from ebuyer.
Connect the modem to the motherboard USB and the scanner ,other devices to the PCI USB card.

wizardofmann 13:56 17 Mar 04

Thanx Newuser.

I did not mention in first post but did that last week! Got Q-Tec usb2 board from PC world. Made no difference. :-(

wizardofmann 14:55 17 Mar 04

Ah ha. After scratching my head for a while I re-read your post as some times one can't see for looking. I will now try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanx again and I'll let you know what happens, in a mo.

wizardofmann 16:18 17 Mar 04

Well it took me a little longer, only because I was called away but at the moment it is looking good.

Thanx again Newuser, you 'hit the nail on the head.'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…