USB problem

musicmike 16:13 15 Sep 03

Just lately everytime I plug in or switch on a usb device my computer freezes. i.e. printer, cam or scanner. its ok if they are already on or in when starting

Windows XP

Any ideas please?

Mike

Forum Editor 16:25 15 Sep 03

and are you running them from a hub? Hubs should have their own power supply if you have a few USB devices - otherwise the power consumption can cause problems.

musicmike 08:18 16 Sep 03

No i'm not using a hub and it happens if no other devices are plugged in so dont think its a power problem

Jester2K II 08:20 16 Sep 03

What devices?

What is the spec of the rest of the PC?

Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, Under Universa; Serial Bus Controllers - whats there???

mark500 08:28 16 Sep 03

click here Read this and see if it helps you.

musicmike 08:53 16 Sep 03

I am at work right now so I will check device manager when I get home.

Thanks

slide 08:55 16 Sep 03

USB is very generic. If you aren't using a hub, the only other thing wrong could be the USB cable. I've seen them go bad when being connected and disconnected too many times. Try another cable.
If that doesn't work.
List your OS, processor, and the devices that you have connected to the computer. Whether they are on the USB connection or not.
Probably the drivers are not working properly for one or more of those devices.
Your first option would be to remove them physically, with the machine off. Remove them from the "Device Manager". Reboot clean, then re-install those devices.

musicmike 11:21 19 Sep 04

Ok I lived with this problem for a while but just did a full system recovery and made sure everything was unpluged so no drivers were installed.

First thing i did after recovery was plug in a webcam and i got the freeze again.

after restart did the same with scanner and same result so it looks like it nothin to do with drivers.

any ideas?

Mike

musicmike 11:11 25 Mar 05

It also happens with just a cable that is not connect to any device

Yoda Knight 11:30 25 Mar 05

Are your USB drivers for your m/b ok ?

musicmike 11:33 25 Mar 05

How do you mean and how do i find out?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…