USB printing problem

PhiltheFragger 09:34 31 Oct 06

Have a new Dell PC without a parallel port.
I have a HP laserjet 5L which only has a parallel port.
to connect the two I have bought a parallel to USB converter cable.

When connected, the hardware wizard starts up, I know the drivers are built in to XP, but it fails to work.

Should I be using LPT1 or USB001 to connect?
Both dont want to work

Am I doing anything stupid?

Cheers

Technotiger 09:51 31 Oct 06

Hi, have you looked in Control Panel>Printers and Faxes to check setup and to set printer as Default?

PhiltheFragger 10:07 31 Oct 06

oh yes, it is there, set as default and saying ready
Just it wont print.
If I connect it through the parallel port to the old pc it works fine, thats XP too.
the problem im sure is linked to the parallel/usb converter and drivers, the HP website is pretty useless

daxian 10:11 31 Oct 06

hi.....
had one of these cables a while back, never did get it to work reliably......
your best option would be to take it back and swap for a pci I/O card with parallel port.

PhiltheFragger 10:25 31 Oct 06

I was thinking along the same lines. I have used these converters before without problems

Oh Well
Thanks anyway

Belatucadrus 10:41 31 Oct 06

Quote from the instruction procedure on the CableUniverse cable:-
"Before you install the USB TO Parallel printer cable , please dont install your printer. After you install the USB?to Parallel printer cable, please change the Printer port as USB2LPT ( Windows 98) , USB001 or USB002 ( Windows XP )".
click here
click here
Presumably it's the same for the one you have.

HondaMan 10:45 31 Oct 06

That solved a problem I had and was still puzzling over!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…