USB printer problems

greenkeen 15:17 11 Mar 09

Hi, I am having a problem on a few computers. If either my Canon IP5300 or HP D1360 or Samsung ML1200 printers are unpluged and later pluged back in Windows reinstalls the drivers and creates a new printer icon for each one labeled copy 1, 2, 3 etc. Any ideas. Thank you

Graphicool1 15:36 11 Mar 09

Why do you keep unplugging them?

ambra4 15:43 11 Mar 09

There is no need to keep unplugging the printers just use a multi port printer server

D-Link Wireless 108Mbps 4-port USB Print Server

click here

Graphicool1 15:55 11 Mar 09

I have two printers both plugged in (USB). When I'm not using them I switch them off to save power. There isn't any need to keep unplugging them. I've got 8 physical USB ports and 2 adapters each will take 4 USB plugs. You can get them off of Ebay for just a few quid.

greenkeen 15:59 11 Mar 09

Hi again, I should have said that the computers are laptops and move around a lot. Any ideas.

Graphicool1 16:03 11 Mar 09

Does it still happen if you plug them back into the 'same' slots they were in before?

greenkeen 16:06 11 Mar 09

Yes same sockets used all the time. It does the same in other sockets as well.

Graphicool1 16:34 11 Mar 09

Do other USB devices act in the same way?
Did it used to be ok and then spontainiously start to happen?
Initially when they were installed did you plug them in and let Windows install them or use the accompanying disk?
Some devices call for the Drivers to be installed first. Then plugged in for Windows to recognise and finish installing from the disk.

Either way if it's a problem or an irritation, I think I would be inclined to uninstall/reinstall.

ambra4 16:48 11 Mar 09

As I said use a multi port printer server

As you must use the same USB socket that you first install the USB devices driver from

The USB device will not be seemed if connected to a difference USB socket

In other words once you have connected and installed the driver for the USB device to

a certain USB port on the motherboard it is fixed to that USB port in the OS registry

To move the USB device to a difference USB port on the motherboard you will have to
do a complete new install of the USB device

USB devices that cannot just be moved to a difference USB socket once the driver is
Installed and working

USB Printers, Web Cams, USB Wireless Adapters, Bluetooth Adapters

With a printer server the printer’s are always connected to the same port and you just have to

make sure that the printer server is connected to the same USB port on the laptop for a hardwire

system or you can print wireless to the D-Link Wireless 108Mbps 4-port USB Print Server

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…