USB printer problem

taffy101 12:01 19 Feb 06

A friend has been having problems installing a HP printer to his new computer running XP Home Edition. The printer is USB but about 7 years old. At first it seemed to install correctly and was working. However when he turned his printer off and back on, he says the printer tries to install itself again. He also gets a message that the UB port has malfunctioned and it doesn't recognise the device. He says he has to change the port from LPT1 to USB and then it works until the next time he restarts and turns his printer on. Any ideas what may be wrong?

howard63 12:09 19 Feb 06

I believe this is a timing problem. Try having the printer turned off until the pc has fully started. In the worst case I have ever come across we also had to remove the usb cable and only insert it after the pc was up and running.

spuds 12:31 19 Feb 06

A 7 year old HP printer with usb, have you tried re-installing with new revised drivers!.

taffy101 14:26 19 Feb 06

Thanks for the replies. We have tried reinsering all the cables, and then reinstalled the printer and so far it seems to be working properly!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac