usb printer port problem with Vista

rabbit6765 22:55 20 Oct 07

I am a first time user of vista (new system). I can not get the printer Brother (MFC 7420) to work through the USB port. WHen turning on the printer the PC recognises there is new hardware but does not know it is a printer and does not load drivers. Under add a printer when choosing the port, there is no option coming up for a USB connection and as the mother board does not have a LPT port I'm stumped. Please help if Possible.

Technotiger 23:00 20 Oct 07

Have you installed the Software that came with the printer, this should normally be done before connecting printer to the PC.

Technotiger 23:07 20 Oct 07

Just found this ..

click here

scroll well down till you see the Driver downloads section - your printer driver is there.

rabbit6765 23:20 20 Oct 07

I have downloaded this driver and ran the setup. It loads software and gets to the point in the installation where you turn on the printer for it to be recognised. The setup just sits there at that point and can not see the printer on the USB port. WHen going into the dropdown box to change the port on the selected printer, it does not list a USB port asnd adding a port only gives me options for a local port or tcp/ip port.

woodchip 23:33 20 Oct 07

Its too late for the way you have done it, Right click My Computer if this is XP then click Properties\Hardware\Device Manager You will see at least one yellow icon, click it then choose uninstall. If you have loaded the new drivers just restart your computer

Technotiger 23:34 20 Oct 07

Hmm, try this, though I don't know if it will work - close all running programs then shut down pc, then connect printer to usb port, then wait 30 seconds and re-start pc.

Technotiger 23:35 20 Oct 07

First Post says it is Vista!

woodchip 23:40 20 Oct 07

Still needs to go to Device Manager and do the above. He may have to go to Control Panel then System then Divice Manager

rabbit6765 11:02 21 Oct 07

tried turning off the computer and connecting the printer with no success. Tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the whole lot with exactly the same problem. It does not recognise a printer on any USB port.

marble 20:31 28 Oct 07

Got the same problem rabbit.

We have 2 identical PCs (new) with identical new printers (with vista drivers contained in the operating system).

On one of them the printer installs as it says in the instruction sheet - the other one behaves like yours.

Been googling a lot over the past few days and found a link to a microsoft forum - on the top of each page of the thread it indicates that the issue is unanswered. It not only refers to printers but to anything usb, but I think page 5 of the thread mentions someone having problem with usb printer.

click here

Is it a Vista bug that needs sorting?

We are pulling out hair out! Did you get any further forward rabbit?

Ronnie268 22:03 28 Oct 07

Yes, is there a genuine problem with USB devices and Vista, as my bluetooth dongle and an older printer will not work. Also, the Card slots on the machine are temperamental with Vista and my camera will not connect. A right pain, as it means buying lots of new hardware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…