USB Printer not recognised in win 98

halliborange 13:12 01 Dec 05

I am trying to install a dell 720 on a win 98 system. Thanks to madboy33 I now know this is a rebranded lexmark Z615. I have downloaded drivers. when trying to install the only port I am offered is print to file. Have tried install routine and add printers but printer wont communicate. Have downloaded poatch from microsoft in case of timing probs - still no luck. I know the system works as I can install my (usb) epsom and that works fine. Any ideas to try before I hit the bottle!!?

Skyver 13:28 01 Dec 05

Have you plugged it in before loading drivers? If it works like a Z65 it ought to bring up the Add New Hardware wizard, stick the CD in when you see that screen.

Skyver 13:29 01 Dec 05

Or, start the downloaded driver installation

woodchip 13:41 01 Dec 05

You should not plug a USB Printer or any USB into Win98 untill you first load the Drivers, from CD.
If you did not do it as above, Right click "My Computer" Device Manager remove the USP printer plug then remove any yellow icons you can see in device manager. now restart your computer and load the Printer Disc and load Drivers It may part way through start searching for printer, if it does you can plug the printer in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…