USB printer? nah...

C_N 14:38 07 Jul 04

I just bought a second hand Epson Stylus (580 I think) printer. Unfortunately it won't work as my computer only recognises Lpt ports as valid ports. My computer is running ME, it started out life running '98 SE and has always had USB ports. This is the first printer I've had that uses USB. Does anyone know what the hell I'm supposed to call a USB port? ("USB" doesn't work!)the printer works and the computer recognises the printer as a USB printer, but I don't know how to make the driver think it works off USB.

Sethhaniel 14:43 07 Jul 04

after the computer has been switched on - then it should come up with found new hardware -
then try from there!!

jack 14:45 07 Jul 04

1.Uninstall all previous printer drivers.
2.Plug in printer to USB and let the computer do the 'newhardware routine'
When it asks for a source, pick - 'from a list' and sheck that the inbuilt printer driver lift in Windows has a driver for that particular model. Then see what happens.

Or
1. Unistall all pevious installed drivers.
2. Ensure the printer is unplugged.
3. instal the software disk.
Plug in the printer.
Which ever way the System should find its own way.

C_N 14:53 07 Jul 04

thanks, but I've tried all that. I can't SELECT usb, only lpt, It will let me type in a 'New Local Port' name but i haven't a clue what to call it, "usb" don't work. Any Ideas what to call it?

stlucia 16:32 07 Jul 04

Presumably your USB ports are working for other hardware?

For my Epson, the USB port is called EPUSB1, but I don't think that's going to help you if the USB ports are greyed out or not accessible from the pick-list.

wee eddie 17:47 07 Jul 04

- it was necessary to install the drivers of an item of unsupported USB equipment "BEFORE" it was plugged in and turned on.

In fact there have been several threads relating to Cameras and this problem. So a quick search for such a thread, may give you an idea of possible solutions.

thms 18:24 07 Jul 04

Downloasd driver from here click here

Remove all previous drivers. Reboot/make sure printer is connected but not switched on.
Load new drivers you should then be asked to switch on printer,driver will auto detect printer.

thms 18:26 07 Jul 04

OOps that link did't work. Try here and select your printer fron the dropdown list.
click here

jakimo 18:56 07 Jul 04

Connect the printer power,and usb cable but DO NOT switch the printer on............disable your virus protection programmer and install the epson printer software and reboot your pc.a window will appear asking if you want to load the drivers auto. or manually,click auto,and follow the on screen instructions

jakimo 19:02 07 Jul 04

I should have mentioned >uninstall any 580 drivers that are installed before commencing with above instructions

mole44 19:47 07 Jul 04

usb,mmm plug and play must admit instling my hp5150 printer was a pain,got there in the end i have a lot of patience though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…