USB printer knocking out net connection

bythor 19:44 05 Nov 06

Connecting a printer by USB knocks out the router connection, which is by ethernet. Anyone got any suggestions before I start? It's on my sis's pc which is miles away so I need to relay messages, which means any re-posting here will have fair time gaps I'm afraid!

Technotiger 20:02 05 Nov 06

Hi, well I have no idea how a usb printer connection can knock out a router connection - but we need to start somewhere I suppose, so - Has your sister tried using a different USB port for the printer?

skidzy 20:03 05 Nov 06

Is it only the printer via usb that this happens or does it happen with other usb devices ?

Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow exclaimation marks

bythor 20:13 05 Nov 06

Technotiger - yes, tried diff ports, same fault.
skidzy - trouble is if I connect remotely to investigate I'll just get booted out as soon as the printer is connected. However, I'll find something else to try - I'd guess it'll be a USB rather than printer issue but we'll soon see (if another USB device is available to plug in!).
Assuming it is a USB port problem, have you any ideas which route next?

Technotiger 20:14 05 Nov 06

If it is a usb port prob, you could fit a usb2 4port pci board - they are not expensive.

skidzy 20:19 05 Nov 06

If it turns out to be a usb problem,maybe the best course of action is to look in device manager and uninstall everything under usb and reboot,this assuming you have xp.If xp,it will install the generic drivers,to me it sounds like a conflict somewhere.

Also may be worth considering uninstalling the printer software and reboot,reload the software for the printer and see if this still happens.

One more thing to try,is via device manager try to update the driver for the printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…