USB Printer Detection Problem

tlong 14:12 26 Oct 03

Hi, first post, so i'd just like to say hello all!

Anyways, i wouldn't be here if i didn't have problem, hopefuly someone could helo me.

I am trying to run an hp845c printer on my pc, for some reason the pc will not recognise the printer, i have tried the usual uninstall re-install (without plugged in) to no avail.

The port works with my other usb devices, i was wondering if my usb controllers needed updating (i'm using Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444) but then my pc knowlege doesn't go that far.

I did reformat my computer (damn aol) about 6 months ago, it worked before the reformat.

any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Tom Long

Info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FUJITZU-1700
System Manufacturer FUJITSU SIEMENS
System Model D1325
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1698 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.06 Rev. 1.08.1325, 6/17/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name FUJITZU-1700
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 214.43 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.20 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

recap 14:30 26 Oct 03

If you think it could be the drivers for your USB, up date the drivers. Open Control Manager select USB Controllers, right click USB select Properties and click on Up date Drivers (you must be on the Internet to do this).

That is for the USB, but it may be the drivers for the printer that are at fault, try updating the drivers for the printer also.

recap 14:31 26 Oct 03

p.s. welocome on board, tlong

Diemmess 14:32 26 Oct 03

Alone among my USB devices, there was one I couldn't load until I phoned the manufacturer.

Their advice, (which worked) was to start without the drivers or the device (an external HD) switched on but NOT plugged in.

Then when Windows was up and running, to plug the USB lead into a socket on the computer. This seemed to kick it into taking some notice, and immediately "Found New Hardware".......Following the prompts I fed it the disk and it never looked back.

Steven135 14:33 26 Oct 03

From memory its important to load the software and follow the instructions before plugging the printer in, if you have done this sorry for stating the obvious.

Giggle n' Bits 14:36 26 Oct 03

this will be found in the Control panel for printer settings. Something like: print to usb port, I have a feeling its set at Parralel port.

So you need to look at properties for your printer in the printer icon within control panel.

tlong 15:32 26 Oct 03

(thanks for the help everyone)

"this will be found in the Control panel for printer settings. Something like: print to usb port, I have a feeling its set at Parralel port.
So you need to look at properties for your printer in the printer icon within control panel."

I think this must be the problem!

In the ports tab i have LPT 1-3, COM 1-4 and print to file... No usb001 (as there should be if my memory serves me right)

How do i go about getting a usb port showing?
I've tried fiddling with the add port option but i don't really know what i'm doing.

Again any help would be appreciated

woodchip 15:49 26 Oct 03

The problem is that you have let windows load drivers for the Printer. You should go to Device Manager and Remove all USB then restart your computer without the printer plugged in. Let windows first set the USB back up. Then when it's stoped doing it's thing put your printer in the USB and switch it on the Found new hardware wizard will pop up asking for XP disc more than likely DO NOT PUT IT IN. load the Printer Software CD and load drivers from there.

tlong 15:56 26 Oct 03

By "remove all USB" you mean uninstall???

Just want confirmation, i'm running a usb modem so i don't want to end up with no connection to the net.

Do i uninstall my usb controllers? or root hubs?
Or what??

:S

Cheers

woodchip 15:58 26 Oct 03

They will all reload when you restart your comp

woodchip 15:59 26 Oct 03

PS if they are plugged in and switched on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…