USB Printer Cables - Maximum length?

dewskit 21:11 05 Mar 05

I have just acquired a new printer, and due to its having a duplexer unit fitted, it is not easy to get at the parallel port connection. As I wish to use it with two computers, one of which is USB compatible, it would seem to make sense to use one // connection and one USB.

However at the moment I am using a 5 metre // printer lead, and the pysical layout here requires that a USB connection of similar length
is needed.

All the USB cables I have seen seem to be of not more than 1 or 1.5 metres in length, so I wondered if it practicable to use a longer lead?

Jeffers22 21:16 05 Mar 05

In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches)

dewskit 21:19 05 Mar 05

Jeffers22

Thank you, that answers my question, I will get a 5 m cable and see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…