USB Printer Cable - 1.1 -v- 2.0 ?

Geoff_S1 12:56 29 Sep 03

I have just purchased a new PC and an all in one printer/scanner. Both of these devices are USB 2.0 enabled. I need to buy a printer cable, but all the local shops only sell 'standard' USB cables (which I presume relate to USB 1.1?) My questions are - 1) Is there such a thing as a USB 2.0 cable, 2) If there is, should I get one of these rather than a 1.1 cable, and 3) where would I get a 2.0 cable ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

expertec 12:57 29 Sep 03

Yes there is such a thing as a USB2 cable, you can buy them @ PC World and lots of other places

-pops- 12:59 29 Sep 03

There are claims about USB2 cables but my USB2 devices work perfectly OK at their claimed speeds with any old USB cable I happen to have around.

Don't be misled by advertising hype that tries to get you to part with loads of money for no good reason.

If there is a difference, I doubt if it is noticeable to most people.

Geoff_S1 13:03 29 Sep 03

Thanks for the quick responses. Had a look on PC World's website, and none of the USB cables I could find stated that they were 2.0. Interestingly, if you click to buy the printer, it tells you that you need a USB cable and directs you to buy one, which is marked as a 1.1.

For all the printing and scanning that I will be doing, presumably a 1.1 cable would suffice anyway. I currently have a parallel connection so even 1.1 will no doubt be a considerable improvement on that.

-pops- 13:13 29 Sep 03

You'll be OK. Scanners aren't the fastest of machines anyway so even if there is a difference in cables, it won't be shown up by a scanner.

I have and USB2 external DVD writer connected by an ordinary USB cable and it works perfectly well, even at the speeds that needs.

-pops- 13:15 29 Sep 03

That should read "I have a USB2 - - "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…