USB Power issues + Chipset (MESH PC)

Voiceoverman 23:29 30 Jan 04

I have been experiencing great difficulties trying to get a USB Mass Storage Device to work on my PC (Windows ME). Some may have seen the thread about BELKIN I've had running?

In a nutshell:-

Plug Belkin in, not recognised by PC, keeps crashing. Have had a replacement - same problem.

Plug another manufacturer's device in (KINGSTON) and it works fine...so long as it's going through a 'powered' hub. Try running it directy into PC USB main socket and it isn't recognised.

Have tried BELKIN via hub too but still no action.

I have an ASUSTek A7V Motherboard and much reading recently points to a well-known issue concerning USB 'power'and bandwidth problems with this arrangement (VIA Chipset) + AMD processor!!

I have even recently installed a USB 2 4-Port PCI Card hoping this may help but it has made no difference to the functionality.

I sometimes find my optical mouse (Microsoft) just loses power when printing and other devices have been known to just stop responding.

I had problems when switiching to ADSL Broadband about a year ago, the modem kept crashing and I had to go down the ethernet hub route to get on-line.

Getting the picture? I have updated the VIA Drivers using the 4 in 1 package and have downloaded the latest drivers for USB 2 for my new PCI card. None of this has made any difference. I'm beginning to creep slowly towards a BIOS update on the drivers which I reckon my machine's long overdue for but am beginning to wonder if this will improve things.

Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Graham

jakimo 17:33 01 Feb 04

this may help click here

Voiceoverman 21:13 02 Feb 04

Jakimo...

Thanks. Had a good look around, very useful. I had heard of this site but hadn't spent any time on it. Have come across stuff which has solved some other long-standing problems on my PC too.

Graham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…