USB ports on Win ME

coolio 10:56 06 Jun 03

Hi all,

friend is having this problem, looking for some tips. He is running Win ME on a laptop and to date hasnt had any joy in using his usb ports. when a device is plugged in, it should automatically be detected, this doesnt happen. There is no sign that the OS has found a new device.
Is this a driver problem? (hes using a digital camera)
An OS problem? (Configuration)
Motherboard?
Manufacturer?
Ill be having a look at it this evening so a few pointers from someone who had the same problem would be great.
Thanx.

^wave^ 11:03 06 Jun 03

go to device mangager and see what is set there

Megatyte 13:15 06 Jun 03

USB normally requires the device drivers installing before physically connecting the device. The driver setup utility should prompt you to connect the device.

AH

Quiller. 14:05 06 Jun 03

As ^wave^ suggests go to device manager and look under the heading universal serial bus controllers. You should have sub headings for 2 X root hubs and 2 X host controllers.

If there is no entries listed here, you will probably have to go to the bios to switch they usb's on.

Quiller. 14:12 06 Jun 03

If it is a bios problem. Then enter the bios as normal, keep pressing delete on bootup.

The section you should be looking for may be listed as onchip device function and the entry is called USB host controller. This should be set to enabled. Make sure you save settings and exit with a y.

If it has been set at disable, then on reboot you will need the M.E. disk to install the host controller.

coolio 14:20 06 Jun 03

thanx guys,

ill give those a go this evening.
should be enough there to get it up and running.
ill post back if it works.

expertec 16:48 06 Jun 03

I'm running Window$ ME and it dont do like this, when I plug in a USB device it detects it and installs the drivers

coolio 11:55 09 Jun 03

problem solved;

not a bios problem,
the ME driver files had been corrupted,
reinstalled from disc, going again.
thanx 4 your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…